What is Carbon & Graphite Felt?
Carbon and Graphite felt is a soft flexible high temperature refractory insulation typically used in vacuum and protected atmosphere environments up to 5432℉ (3000℃). High purity felt heat treated to 4712℉(2600℃) and Halogen Purification are available for custom production orders. Additionally, the material can be used in oxidizing temperatures up to 752℉ (400℃).
What is the difference between Pan & Rayon Felts?
Polyacrylonitrile, also known as PAN, is manufactured with larger diameter course fibers resulting in lower surface area and better oxidation resistance. The flexible material is stiffer and less soft to the touch in comparison to Rayon. Thermal conductivity of Rayon is lower than PAN at temperatures greater than 3272℉ (1800℃).
For heat treat applications, our office highly recommends PAN carbon felt due to the materials handling ease and reduced price. If you are operating at temperatures greater than 3272℉ (1800℃), please use Rayon.
- Easy to cut and install.
- Low density and thermal mass.
- High thermal resistance.
- Low ash and sulphur content.
- No outgassing.
- Furnace insulation & parts.
- Heat shields & sinks.
- Backing strips for soldering & welding.
- Cathode in flow battery applications.
- Reaction surface for other electro-chemical processes.
- Glass blowing pads & plumber pads.
- Wicks in ultralight stoves.
- Automotive exhaust linings.
- Thermal insulators.
Ready to order?
- Inventory fully stocked with standard sizes & same day shipping available.
- Custom orders & sizes typically have a lead time of 4-8 weeks for delivery.
- 60″ wide rolls are made to order. Need a quote?
- Discounts provided for volume orders at 9 rolls or more (9 rolls per pallet). Ready for your volume discount quote?
- High purity specialty rolls are available heat treated up to 2600C & Halogen purified, minimums apply.
- Any orders less than a roll are available at a 25% mark up. ($100.00 minimum order required.)