What are Solid Graphite Rods?
Solid graphite rods are machined from blocks of graphite for use in various industries and applications. Our office stocks standard sizes manufactured and machined from Extruded Graphite. The two types offered are JC3 and JC4.
Additionally, if a custom size or different grade of graphite is needed for your application such as Isographite, please contact us for a quote.
What is the difference between JC3 and JC4?
JC3 is a dense fine grained rod that is machinable and rated to a high temperature (2400℃ Heat Treating). It’s properties allow for good electrical conductivity and typically used for electrochemical applications.
JC4 is a strong fine grained rod that is machinable and rated to a medium temperature (735℃ Heat Treating). It’s properties allow for good density and strength when higher temperature are not required. Typically these rods are used for mechanical applications.
- Machinability to exceptionally close tolerances.
- Good Thermal Conductivity as graphite is an excellent heat conductor and has great resistance to thermal shock.
- High Compressive Strength ranging from 11K-38K lbs/in²
- Corrosion Resistance for all practical purposes and is unaffected by most acids, alkalis, solvents, and similar chemicals.
- Seal face flatness due to the high modulus of elasticity and stability to remain flat during operation at the rubbing faces.
- Built-in Lubrications and Non-Galling. Products will not seize or gall in the most severe applications as the molecular structure of graphite forms an extremely thin film on moving parts.
- Porosity. Graphite can be porous but impregnants are used to fill these pores and can range from high to totally impervious depending on need. Check out our GraphiSeal.
- Heat Treating applications.
- Used to support hearth rails or beams to allow for thermal expansion.
- Fixtures or support post.
- Electrodes, stir sticks, and other reaction purposes.
Ready to order?
If you have any additional questions or need a custom quote our team is always available to help.